9:00 am: Buses pick up students
9:30 am: Greetings from Mount Royal University
9:40 am: Guest Historian – Overview of the Holocaust
10:00 am: Screening of Holocaust Education film
10:40 am: Break
10:50 am: Holocaust Survivor Testimony followed by Q & A
12:15 pm: Return to Buses
Note: Federation offers Holocaust Education Symposium to schools free of charge.
Click HERE to view a copy of a recent Holocaust Education Symposium program
To request an invitation for your school to attend the Holocaust Education Symposium or to learn about other Holocaust & Human Rights Education resources, please contact Ilana Krygier Lapides at 403-444-3162 or by email.
For over 33 years, local Holocaust Survivors and 2nd Generation Voices have shared their stories with tens of thousands of high school students at Calgary Jewish Federation’s annual Holocaust Education Symposium in cooperation with Mount Royal University. Despite the difficulty in sharing their painful memories, brave Survivors have been recounting their unspeakable and complicated experiences while consistently leaving students with a message of hope for the future. Started in the mid-80’s as a response to Holocaust denial spread by an Alberta teacher, these stories are gifts that help us spread the concepts of acceptance, understanding and peace and stand as memorials to those who were silenced by the Holocaust.
• The Courage to Care: Rescues of Jews during the Holocaust.
Carol Rittner & Sondra Meyers, eds.
• The Diary of a Young Girl: Anne Frank.
Ed.: Otto H. Frank & Mirjan Pressler.
• The Holocaust: A History of the Jews of Europe During the Second World War.
• I Never Saw Another Butterfly: Childrens’ Drawings and Poems from Terezin Concentration Camp 1942-44.
• Vanished in the Darkness, An Auschwitz Memoir.
• The War Against the Jews 1933-1945.