For over 30 years, local Holocaust survivors have shared their stories with tens of thousands of high school students at Calgary Jewish Federation’s annual Holocaust Education Symposium in cooperation with Mount Royal University. Despite the difficulty in sharing their painful memories, brave survivors have been recounting their unspeakable and complicated experiences while consistently leaving students with a message of hope for the future. Started in the mid-80’s as a response to Holocaust denial spread by an Alberta teacher, these stories are gifts that help us spread the concepts of acceptance, understanding and peace and stand as memorials to those who were silenced by the Holocaust.
For information about the Holocaust Symposium and other Holocaust & Human Rights Education, please contact Ilana Krygier-Lapides at 403-444-3162 or by email.
• The Courage to Care: Rescues of Jews during the Holocaust.
Carol Rittner & Sondra Meyers, eds.
• The Diary of a Young Girl: Anne Frank.
Ed.: Otto H. Frank & Mirjan Pressler.
• The Holocaust: A History of the Jews of Europe During the Second World War.
• I Never Saw Another Butterfly: Childrens’ Drawings and Poems from Terezin Concentration Camp 1942-44.
• Vanished in the Darkness, An Auschwitz Memoir.
• The War Against the Jews 1933-1945.