Contest Prizes are generously donated by Fania & Leo z"l Wedro Community Fund. All participants will receive recognition.
Essay Rules and Guidelines:
Suggestions for essay topic include:
- Interview a child or adult with a disability and a description of his/her experiences with the attitudes of others
- Read a book about people with disabilities and describe the impact of attitude on their lives
- Write about your own observations or feelings about attitudes toward people with disabilities
- Describe ideas and actions to improve inclusion in our community
- One submission per child
- Submission date starts December 16, 2020
- Deadline for submissions January 22nd, 2020 at 11:59pm
- The winners will be announced and notified on January 27, 2020
- The Awards Ceremony will be held on February 2nd, 2020, 1:00pm at the Calgary JCC
- All participants are recognized for their efforts at the awards ceremony
- Stories must be submitted on the attached form.
- Entries must be typed and in English
- The maximum story length is 1000 words
- The contest is open to all students grades 6 to 9 in 2 categories grades 6-7 and grades 8-9
- Entries must be the original unpublished work of the child entering the contest
- Stories will not be returned.
- A panel of volunteers will judge the essays and the winners will be picked based on the overall impact of the essay
Judging criteria will include:
- Clarity and creativity in outlining the theme: Meshane Ha Briot – Celebrating differences, Being inclusive, making a better world
- Inclusion ideas and content
- The originality of the essay
- Writing style relative to the age of entrant
- The sensitivity of entrant to issues facing people with disabilities
- Knowledge of issues about disabilities
A panel of volunteers will judge the essays and the winners will be picked based on the overall impact of the essay. Find the essay contest registration form HERE. Please complete your registration form and send with your story and attach it to the completed entry form to:firstname.lastname@example.org by January 22th, 2020. For more information contact Karina Szulc at email@example.com.